Jump to

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* UK Reef's Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Bubbagump: Hi all, just signed up today...if previous posts are anything to go by looking forward to joining the group
    November 19, 2017, 05:23:56 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: i read all the forum and topics and decidet to join you.
    April 23, 2017, 09:26:40 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: Im new in this and truing to build a reef tank
    April 23, 2017, 09:26:11 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: Hi to all
    April 23, 2017, 09:25:09 PM
  • AndrewStephens: Morning :)
    January 23, 2017, 07:03:06 AM
  • tangtastic: shuusshh :o
    December 03, 2015, 12:47:41 AM
  • compfranon: not a lot of people use this shoutbox
    October 31, 2015, 11:02:11 PM
  • mark (sid) tottle: why has it gone so quiet o this sight????????????
    September 03, 2015, 07:14:09 PM
  • tangtastic: Afternoon folks anything on the go today ?
    March 22, 2014, 12:00:29 PM
  • s23pho: jardin
    December 10, 2013, 11:29:08 PM
  • compfranon: checkout the 44 gallon thread onlyaman
    November 03, 2013, 10:20:23 PM
  • onlyaman: one
    October 31, 2013, 11:24:19 PM
  • onlyaman: has any oen put toghter the jarduino controler
    October 31, 2013, 11:23:41 PM
  • onlyaman: just wanted to say hi to all
    October 31, 2013, 11:15:34 PM
  • bigguy: Evening :)
    October 26, 2013, 09:15:06 PM
  • tangtastic: mornin
    October 15, 2013, 05:16:24 PM
  • bigguy: Greets to all :)
    October 12, 2013, 03:35:48 PM
  • compfranon: chrome worked for me
    October 08, 2013, 06:16:25 PM
  • bigguy: this is ie
    October 08, 2013, 05:18:20 PM
  • bigguy: hello
    October 08, 2013, 05:17:47 PM

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 291
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: redtop03s plywood tank  (Read 21436 times)

Offline TheDOdblG

• Admin/Mod
    • Jarduino on Google Code
Re: redtop03s plywood tank
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
Thanks man.  Things are moving along at a snails pace as free time to work on things is so rare these days.  Come to think of it, I'm eating a snails dust  :-\

I do have one thing I would like to run by everyone (maybe I should start a new thread).  My house has both a city supply of water, and well water.  I haven't done any testing on the well supply (although it looks and smells fine), but I'm thinking about hooking my RODI system up to the well water as it is essentially free and RODI systems waste a lot of water.  If I stay on the city water, I'll have to pay for it...  Any suggestions?

Offline bigguy

• Administrator
    • ukreefs
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2014, 08:27:48 PM »
the point of a good system with resin it removes all the impuritys dude so on the well should be fine :)
Cube LED Build The Journey :)
http://ukreefs.com/index.php?topic=975.msg8156#msg8156
Large Fat And Dam ugly But Happy to Try and help if i Can :)
Enjoy Your Stay Here.

50cm Cube Tank Thread
http://ukreefs.com/index.php?topic=1005.0

Offline redtop03

« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2014, 08:33:44 PM »
thanks guys, Jamie, I'm still in Ky. we just moved 3 doors down from where we were, my bro-in-law bought a new home and we bought his old one...sorry to hear you had about the same luck with moving your tank, it sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do, family comes first over anything else

I'd go with the well water if the TDS isn't too high, chlorine kills a lot of bad stuff in city water but if they weren't pumping it out of a river or lake, they may not need the chlorine LOL

we have a well (bad pump though) and city water too, worst thing about well water around here is iron, it will ruin white clothes and bath fixtures with the yellow stain, not to mention it tastes terrible, but a good RO/DI filtration system could make it taste much better
Willie McDaries

Success tastes much sweeter when we know what failure tasted like

Offline redtop03

« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2014, 08:45:20 PM »
Jamie, I'm about to order a couple of the Jebao WP10 powerheads, I noticed that in the Ferduino, he has incorporated them into his Arduino build, my Spanish is non-existing and I can't figure out how he did it LOL, Have you looked at any of that yet or is it gonna be available in the Jarduino ?
Willie McDaries

Offline redtop03

« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
Jamie, some of the guys on another forum think that you should add voice command to the Jarduino...I told 'em I'd mention it to you but I doubt it will get that LOL
Willie McDaries

Offline TheDOdblG

• Admin/Mod
    • Jarduino on Google Code
« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2014, 06:24:10 PM »
I'm sure you'll be happy to know that I finally caved in to all the hype and purchased a WP10 & a WP25 (Got them both from some dude out in Cali).  While I haven't put them in my tank yet, I did try them out in the kitchen sink.  I must say, they are quite impressive. I dialed in a resonant frequency in no time flat and splashed water all over the floor.  I was laughing like a little schoolgirl!  I also was pleasantly surprised at how small they are, smaller and yet quite a bit more powerful than the cheaper and larger Hydor Powerheads I currently run.  So given my positive initial impressions, I will eventually be incorporating them into the Jarduino.  Not the next release, but maybe the one after...  After briefly testing them out, I'm left wondering why anyone in the world would waste any money on other DC powerheads that cost ~3-4x's as much.  I did have my hands on a Vortech for a while, but I just didn't like it all that much, it was loud and put a big dent in my wallet.  I tried giving it some time tinkering around with it and fine tuning it and what not, thinking I might start liking it, but after a few days I just couldn't stand it anymore and sold it on eBay.  It was because of the Vortech's that I decided a while back that I wasn't going to be doing anything with DC powerheads...  Anyway, the Jebao's (and all the Jebao lovers out there) have changed my mind so I will definitely come up with something to control them via the Jarduino.  As far as voice commands, I highly doubt it (but then again I said that about DC powerhead control, so with enough convincing who knows?). 

Offline redtop03

« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2014, 07:29:40 PM »
I'm sure you'll be happy to know that I finally caved in to all the hype and purchased a WP10 & a WP25 (Got them both from some dude out in Cali).  While I haven't put them in my tank yet, I did try them out in the kitchen sink.  I must say, they are quite impressive. I dialed in a resonant frequency in no time flat and splashed water all over the floor.  I was laughing like a little schoolgirl!  I also was pleasantly surprised at how small they are, smaller and yet quite a bit more powerful than the cheaper and larger Hydor Powerheads I currently run.  So given my positive initial impressions, I will eventually be incorporating them into the Jarduino.  Not the next release, but maybe the one after...  After briefly testing them out, I'm left wondering why anyone in the world would waste any money on other DC powerheads that cost ~3-4x's as much.  I did have my hands on a Vortech for a while, but I just didn't like it all that much, it was loud and put a big dent in my wallet.  I tried giving it some time tinkering around with it and fine tuning it and what not, thinking I might start liking it, but after a few days I just couldn't stand it anymore and sold it on eBay.  It was because of the Vortech's that I decided a while back that I wasn't going to be doing anything with DC powerheads...  Anyway, the Jebao's (and all the Jebao lovers out there) have changed my mind so I will definitely come up with something to control them via the Jarduino.  As far as voice commands, I highly doubt it (but then again I said that about DC powerhead control, so with enough convincing who knows?).

I kinda figured you'd like the Jebaos, fraction of the cost of a vortech and perform almost exactly like 'em, I have the MP60 and 700 or so bucks was a hard lump to swallow but it is a badass pump.....I lost a 6 inch naso tang to it running full power, I don't do that any more either, it's hard to pull your hand away from it at full power

I really didn't get it so much for the pump as for the battery backup, which was another hundred and a half or so LOL the WPs weren't around when I bought it though or I'd have a pair of the WP60 for the 360 :)

I'm running the MP60 in my 90g turned all the way down and it's still too much, it's great for the 360 though, I'll keep it but I ain't gonna buy another LOL
Willie McDaries

Offline redtop03

« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2014, 07:47:18 PM »
I finally built my refugeum light today...it has 5 red and 4 white LEDs and Jarduino is controlling it of course :) I'll redo the heatsink later but this was handy so I ran with it :)

Willie McDaries

Offline bigguy

• Administrator
    • ukreefs
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »
Nice one Dude What LEDs did you use for that and is it just on and off or you can ramp it up ?

Bigguy
Enjoy Your Stay Here.

50cm Cube Tank Thread

Offline redtop03

« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2014, 08:22:31 PM »
Nice one Dude What LEDs did you use for that and is it just on and off or you can ramp it up ?

Bigguy

all my LEDs are from ebay, they're the 3w LEDs, they all call for 3.5v except the reds which call for 2.5v which is why I used 5 instead of 4 on that string....

I used one of the 700ma LDD meanwell drivers on it so it will ramp up and down with the Jarduino, it is 2 strings, one with white and one with red, both are connected to the one driver so it's like 350ma per string and ran on a 12v PSU...both strings can handle the 700ma so if I need more light, I'll add another LDD driver and separate the strings.....all I'm using this for is to grow chaeto, it's dang bright as is :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:25:43 PM by redtop03 »
Willie McDaries

Offline bigguy

• Administrator
    • ukreefs
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2014, 08:27:55 PM »
thanks dude :)

i plan to build my sump light first was not sure just to use all white or get some reds ?

got a few xbox 360 heat sinks so can make a couple for both tanks :)
Enjoy Your Stay Here.

50cm Cube Tank Thread

Offline redtop03

« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2014, 09:12:53 PM »
thanks dude :)

i plan to build my sump light first was not sure just to use all white or get some reds ?

got a few xbox 360 heat sinks so can make a couple for both tanks :)

normally I would have used only white but everybody on the forums are using red and white with a lot of success with algae, even turf algae on the scrubbers are using red, so figured I'd give it a try with chaeto :)
Willie McDaries