Jump to

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* UK Reef's Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Bubbagump: Hi all, just signed up today...if previous posts are anything to go by looking forward to joining the group
    November 19, 2017, 05:23:56 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: i read all the forum and topics and decidet to join you.
    April 23, 2017, 09:26:40 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: Im new in this and truing to build a reef tank
    April 23, 2017, 09:26:11 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: Hi to all
    April 23, 2017, 09:25:09 PM
  • AndrewStephens: Morning :)
    January 23, 2017, 07:03:06 AM
  • tangtastic: shuusshh :o
    December 03, 2015, 12:47:41 AM
  • compfranon: not a lot of people use this shoutbox
    October 31, 2015, 11:02:11 PM
  • mark (sid) tottle: why has it gone so quiet o this sight????????????
    September 03, 2015, 07:14:09 PM
  • tangtastic: Afternoon folks anything on the go today ?
    March 22, 2014, 12:00:29 PM
  • s23pho: jardin
    December 10, 2013, 11:29:08 PM
  • compfranon: checkout the 44 gallon thread onlyaman
    November 03, 2013, 10:20:23 PM
  • onlyaman: one
    October 31, 2013, 11:24:19 PM
  • onlyaman: has any oen put toghter the jarduino controler
    October 31, 2013, 11:23:41 PM
  • onlyaman: just wanted to say hi to all
    October 31, 2013, 11:15:34 PM
  • bigguy: Evening :)
    October 26, 2013, 09:15:06 PM
  • tangtastic: mornin
    October 15, 2013, 05:16:24 PM
  • bigguy: Greets to all :)
    October 12, 2013, 03:35:48 PM
  • compfranon: chrome worked for me
    October 08, 2013, 06:16:25 PM
  • bigguy: this is ie
    October 08, 2013, 05:18:20 PM
  • bigguy: hello
    October 08, 2013, 05:17:47 PM

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 80
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: redtop03s plywood tank  (Read 35038 times)

Offline TheDOdblG

• Admin/Mod
    • Jarduino on Google Code
Re: redtop03s plywood tank
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2013, 03:08:46 AM »
Be weary of the DC stuff too, the 5V stuff doesn't concern me all that much, but the DC power coming directly from the huge Power Supply makes me a bit worried.  Safety first Willie! 

With that said, I'm glad your build is moving along.  Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Offline redtop03

« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2013, 03:51:12 AM »
Be weary of the DC stuff too, the 5V stuff doesn't concern me all that much, but the DC power coming directly from the huge Power Supply makes me a bit worried.  Safety first Willie! 

With that said, I'm glad your build is moving along.  Can't wait to see what you come up with.

LOL yea,the 48v from mine could zap a person I guess,I have all the wiring up where no small people can reach it and all the power wiring is covered or taped over,I didn't want to short out my electronics either LOL the only exposed wires are just the PWM and 5v stuff from the Arduino.....it ain't really as dangerous as it looks
Willie McDaries

Success tastes much sweeter when we know what failure tasted like

Offline redtop03

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2013, 12:58:31 AM »
purchased this fish feeder today at a local petsmart  http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752267&cp=2767036.11209639&utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

I may have decided against buying it if I had read the reviews at petsmart online but it works perfectly with the Jarduino program :) had to do some minor rewiring,it is now powered my the Arduino and the controller function is awesome with it,I put some flake and pellet food in it but I usually feed frozen food,this is just another "gotta have" cool gadget LOL
Willie McDaries

Offline TheDOdblG

• Admin/Mod
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2013, 01:56:31 AM »
Nice!  If you like it now, wait until the next release when it not only will feed your fish, but will also shut off your choice(s) of powerhead(s), pump, and/or skimmer!  BTW, on eBay they sell some feeders very similar to what you got for about 1/3 the price...

Offline redtop03

« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2013, 02:56:33 AM »
Nice!  If you like it now, wait until the next release when it not only will feed your fish, but will also shut off your choice(s) of powerhead(s), pump, and/or skimmer!  BTW, on eBay they sell some feeders very similar to what you got for about 1/3 the price...

yeah I seen 'em,I also found the Eheim for less than I paid for this one too but I was there,it was in hand,I couldn't wait to wire it up and let Jarduino impress me even more LOL

they had the Eheim for $45 and if I had read the reviews on this one,I would have gotten it,but this one looked more simple to mess with,and it was easy to figure out,just 3 wires,a ground,the 3v,and the trigger wire to the manual feed button....

it only turns 1 time if I use the manual feed button on the controller but it turns 6 times with the programed feed timer,I assume that is a time set in the code,this feeder needs positive voltage for just a second or less to activate the motor and it makes 1 revolution,it has a micro switch and cam to stop it with....

it has a build in timer to feed either 1 or 2 times a day but it has no way of setting a specific time,kinda generic there like the reviews said,but with a Jarduino it functions awesomely LOL

I've been in every store within 100 miles of here looking for some nice boxes/cases to put all this controller stuff in but ain't found anything I thought would work yet,looks like I may have to build something to suit my needs
Willie McDaries

Offline WmTasker

« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2013, 04:32:04 AM »
I have been thinking about doing the feeder thing but I was worried it would be to big to fit in the canopy of the jbj 28g nano and it would feed to much since I only have 5 fish. I am camping this weekend so the fish won't get fed Saturday.

Can someone give an around about estimate on the size and a link to the eBay ones.

Thanks.
Follow me on  

Nigel Marlow

« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2013, 05:47:48 AM »
I have the Eheim 3581 like Jamie,  it measures 5.5 inches long, 2.5 inches high and 2 inches wide.
Purchased here.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EHEIM-AUTO-FEEDER-UNIT-FISH-FOOD-FEEDING-AUTOMATIC-3581-/370831044664?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item565740b038

Offline redtop03

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2013, 10:12:50 AM »
I have been thinking about doing the feeder thing but I was worried it would be to big to fit in the canopy of the jbj 28g nano and it would feed to much since I only have 5 fish. I am camping this weekend so the fish won't get fed Saturday.

Can someone give an around about estimate on the size and a link to the eBay ones.

Thanks.

they are kinda big but if you can find the room to mount it,it's really cool.....I told my wife that I wont feel as guilty now for not feeding every day,if they miss a meal now,I can blame the feeder :)

I think you'll be more satisfied if you get the Eheim like Jamie used,although this one seems to be working just fine,the quality of Eheim products has always been outstanding......

I was gonna get 1 from Ebay but I was in the PetSmart yesterday and they had this tempting me too much,plus,I figured if there was a problem with it before I disassembled it,I could take it right back for an exchange...almost no waiting like that,it was absolute torture waiting on the LED stuff to start my controller build LOL

another thing I've already noticed about my fish with this thing,it has fed 4 or 5 times now and my fish seem to be anticipating when it's time for the next feeding,they're already gathering under it and waiting LOL

once Jamie releases the new version and the main pump can be shut off automagically during feeding,this will be an awesome piece of equipment,with mine right now,the fish have to hurry before the overflow gets the food.....

I tried to locate it in a high flow area so that the food would be dispersed into the tank more that just floating on top and going down the drain almost instantly,it works pretty good like that but a lot still makes it to the sump
Willie McDaries

Nigel Marlow

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2013, 01:00:10 PM »
I cut the bottom and top off a plastic bottle and mounted this at the surface directly below the feeder.  It stops the food spreading across the surface and being dragged down the weir.  The flow from one of the wave-makers draws bits out and down across the tank.  :))

Offline TheDOdblG

• Admin/Mod
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2013, 05:22:36 PM »
I have the Eheim 3581 like Jamie,  it measures 5.5 inches long, 2.5 inches high and 2 inches wide.
Purchased here.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EHEIM-AUTO-FEEDER-UNIT-FISH-FOOD-FEEDING-AUTOMATIC-3581-/370831044664?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item565740b038

don't forget to add in some extra head room for this one, as it has a rectangular hopper, so when it dispenses food (that is, when it spins), it needs more space vertically

Offline TheDOdblG

• Admin/Mod
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2013, 05:48:10 PM »
...it only turns 1 time if I use the manual feed button on the controller but it turns 6 times with the programed feed timer...

a while back (oct 2012) I pointed out this bug, and promptly posted a fix.  Check out reply#492 of my thread.  If it spins more than once after updating the sketch with my fix (I would be surprised), then there are further things you can do to fix it.  But just apply the update first and we'll go from there...

...another thing I've already noticed about my fish with this thing, it has fed 4 or 5 times now and my fish seem to be anticipating when it's time for the next feeding, they're already gathering under it and waiting LOL...

Pavlov's dog in action!  Amazing how quickly fish can be "classically conditioned."  I'm that way too lol, kind of milling around the kitchen come dinner time... 

I cut the bottom and top off a plastic bottle and mounted this at the surface directly below the feeder.  It stops the food spreading across the surface and being dragged down the weir.  The flow from one of the wave-makers draws bits out and down across the tank. 

Good solution.  If I had the food loss issue I would certainly add in a pipe (chute) for the food, but luckily, the way my water return and powerheads are positioned, 1/2 of the food stays on the surface and the rest gets blown throughout the tank, with only miniscule amounts being sucked down the overflow.  I like that lots of food stays at the surface, as some of my fish seem to prefer eating it from there.  I'm guessing that once the next release comes out, you'll be removing your "fix?" If only I had a few full days to work on the program, I'm sure I could get it out within that time... sigh

Offline redtop03

« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2013, 09:13:15 PM »

a while back (oct 2012) I pointed out this bug, and promptly posted a fix.  Check out reply#492 of my thread.  If it spins more than once after updating the sketch with my fix (I would be surprised), then there are further things you can do to fix it.  But just apply the update first and we'll go from there...

done and fixed....thank you sir,you are the man,and I remember distinctly reading that post,it just completely slipped my mine...old age wins again LOL

If only I had a few full days to work on the program, I'm sure I could get it out within that time... sigh

you'll get to when you can,don't let it get between you and enjoying your family and life,this is really cool stuff but it ain't worth getting stressed out over or taking time from your family,it is just a hobby...but I am looking forward to the next edition :)
Willie McDaries

Offline redtop03

« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2013, 09:15:22 PM »
I cut the bottom and top off a plastic bottle and mounted this at the surface directly below the feeder.  It stops the food spreading across the surface and being dragged down the weir.  The flow from one of the wave-makers draws bits out and down across the tank.  :))

brilliant idea....I'll do that until Jamie has time to release the next edition of Jarduino :)
Willie McDaries

Offline redtop03

« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2013, 09:39:45 PM »
Nigel,your idea works great,I have it mounted where just a 1/4 inch or so of the jug is in the water,it holds the floating food until it has absorbed enough water to sink,some sinks some stays afloat,but very little if any is going toward the overflow now,what that didn't sink immediately before usually went down the drain LOL...thank you for sharing that
Willie McDaries

Nigel Marlow

« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2013, 04:43:44 AM »
That's how I have my feeding ring, pleased it worked for you my friend.