New Members Forums > New Member Questions

Not sure if I'm being daft...

(1/1)

Doug:
So testing water... New concept to me...

Ph looks ok, salt a little low :s (refractometer) and Nitrates are 0.

Is it safe to assume that as I used some good live rock, been in there a month or so... That if Nitrates read 0 my ammonia and notrites are 0 or as close to that as they should be?

michael:

--- Quote from: Doug on January 31, 2013, 08:20:15 AM ---So testing water... New concept to me...

Ph looks ok, salt a little low :s (refractometer) and Nitrates are 0.

Is it safe to assume that as I used some good live rock, been in there a month or so... That if Nitrates read 0 my ammonia and notrites are 0 or as close to that as they should be?

--- End quote ---

It may well be you have cycled media in the tank and won't see a spike Doug, leave it longer to be sure pal, always carry an ammonia and nitrite kit as standard anyhow fella, it's the only real way you will know for sure.

Mike

JP-79er:
TBHH i would test that ammonia and nitrite to be sure..then a week later if nothing is showing in that period then i would be happy the tank has cycled.

0 Nitrates might mean that nitrite has not been converted properly yet as the bi-product of the conversion is nitrate.

But if liverock has been transported  well and not left out of water i would expect a tiny cycle to happen in some cases to small for a test kit to read but i would always want a test kit to tell me that.

Doug:
I was cautious, when they bagged it up they didn't put water in the bags, but had bought 25l of salty RODI so as soon as got out the shop i brimmed the bags with the salty stuff so it wouldn't be dry going home.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version