Jump to

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* UK Reef's Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Bubbagump: Hi all, just signed up today...if previous posts are anything to go by looking forward to joining the group
    November 19, 2017, 05:23:56 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: i read all the forum and topics and decidet to join you.
    April 23, 2017, 09:26:40 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: Im new in this and truing to build a reef tank
    April 23, 2017, 09:26:11 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: Hi to all
    April 23, 2017, 09:25:09 PM
  • AndrewStephens: Morning :)
    January 23, 2017, 07:03:06 AM
  • tangtastic: shuusshh :o
    December 03, 2015, 12:47:41 AM
  • compfranon: not a lot of people use this shoutbox
    October 31, 2015, 11:02:11 PM
  • mark (sid) tottle: why has it gone so quiet o this sight????????????
    September 03, 2015, 07:14:09 PM
  • tangtastic: Afternoon folks anything on the go today ?
    March 22, 2014, 12:00:29 PM
  • s23pho: jardin
    December 10, 2013, 11:29:08 PM
  • compfranon: checkout the 44 gallon thread onlyaman
    November 03, 2013, 10:20:23 PM
  • onlyaman: one
    October 31, 2013, 11:24:19 PM
  • onlyaman: has any oen put toghter the jarduino controler
    October 31, 2013, 11:23:41 PM
  • onlyaman: just wanted to say hi to all
    October 31, 2013, 11:15:34 PM
  • bigguy: Evening :)
    October 26, 2013, 09:15:06 PM
  • tangtastic: mornin
    October 15, 2013, 05:16:24 PM
  • bigguy: Greets to all :)
    October 12, 2013, 03:35:48 PM
  • compfranon: chrome worked for me
    October 08, 2013, 06:16:25 PM
  • bigguy: this is ie
    October 08, 2013, 05:18:20 PM
  • bigguy: hello
    October 08, 2013, 05:17:47 PM

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 80
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: How to wean a regal angel  (Read 3598 times)

Offline vahegan

How to wean a regal angel
« on: June 28, 2012, 04:47:38 PM »
Hi everyone!

My dream has finally come true and I've got a regal angel 3 days ago. The yellow-belly variation. The importer has got them just 3 days earlier and was keeping them in Prazipro since the arrival, at SG 1.015.

I drip-acclimated it to my SG 1.024 reef water in some 8 hours and then let him into the reef tank. Strangely enough, he wasn't shy and was showing up just 1-2 hours after introduction, and was even trying to nip something from the rocks.

However the angel would not accept any of the "normal" foods I have been offering: he absolutely ignores Ocean Nutrition Mysis shrimps, Reef Plus, Formula 2 frozen stuff as well as Ziclopeese flakes, Dr. Basseleers and Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 granules - all the stuff that other fishes get crazy about, but he feels shy when I feed and hides until everything is eaten. Then he comes back to his normal nipping on the live rock - but there isn't much to eat there.

Any advice on how to wean a freshly imported regal angel would be greatly appreciated. I read on Reef Central that regals may just need time and then will readily take all kinds of food offered, but I sort of fear that he may starve.

Offline wakeyblue

Re: How to wean a regal angel
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 08:11:30 PM »
Hi I have had both types of regal angel the first one I lost in a white spot wipeout often 3 years he didn't eat anything but flake and took some time to get him onto other foods but I got there after 3 weeks or so but he was eating flakes , I now have the red sea one which is richer in colour like yours but I ordered it 15months ago and the shop kept it for. 4 weeks for me and made sure it was feeding it was the other way he ate frozen but now eats anything , these fish are fussy and to be honest the shop should have kept it in and made sure it was eating before selling , did you see it eating  before purchase , patience is the key and keep trying different foods he may well just start feeding good luck. John

Offline vahegan

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 08:46:38 PM »
Hi John, and thanks for your input.
Its not quite like that in my country, there is just one store that carries marine stuff and they do not get it frequently. The store owner is sort of friendly with me and he lets me pick up something whenever he gets a shipment - he quarantines the fish for a few days, but good ones are sold out quickly. I picked it up just from the QT, realizing the risks. He seems to be completely OK health wise, and is certainly ready to accept food (judging from that he is constantly nipping on the LR) - it is just a matter of not recognizing the foods offered as "edible stuff"... Will try to offer some cicklopeeze flakes and some live brine shrimp nauplii tomorrow... Patience - yes, I've got a lot, I just hope he doesn't starve to death before that. Its a lovely fish...

Offline wakeyblue

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 09:10:55 PM »
How's it going with the regal buddy

Offline vahegan

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 09:48:44 PM »
Hi John.

Thanks for asking. Same thing here. Doesn't eat anything of the foods offered but nips regularly on the rocks. Doesn't seem to get thinner, though. Just in case, I am trying to feed plenty, in the hope that he'd pick up something from the ground or the rocks. Managed to get some Ocean Nutrition Angel Formula frozen cubes, and some nori, but he doesn't seem interested - most all food is eaten by my regal tang he, would readily accept any amount of food offered...

The good thing about the angel is that he gradually gets less shy and I hope that he'll stop hiding when I deed the fish. The bad thing, however, is that I noticed some white spots on the angel's pectorals, one on each side. It is certainly not ich, they are larger and sort-of protruding. Don't know what it could be, hope that's not too dangerous.

Offline wakeyblue

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 11:47:52 AM »
fingers crossed for you buddy

Offline vahegan

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 07:53:46 PM »
My angel died, after three weeks of refusing any food.

A few days ago I read on some forum about a guy who, looking for a cheap seaweed for his vegetarian fishes, was trying some Japanese algae called kombu. He wrote that it is very hard and none of the fishes ate it, except his regal tang.

We don't have kombu on sale in my country but, reading that it was hard, the first thing that popped up in my mind was laminaria. I researched the Internet and indeed, found that it is one of laminaria species.

I bought some Russian brand of dried laminaria at the supermarket (they call it "sea cabbage"), soaked a teaspoon overnight, than cooked it in the morning and offered to fish. I was surprised that my regal tang ate it readily and was even more surprised that the regal angel too has picked a few pieces. Well, it was too late, I wish I found this out just a week earlier, I might have saved his life. I found him dying the very next morning...

I am posting this in the hope that this stuff may save some angels' life in the process of weaning him to new types of food...

Offline tangtastic

• Administrator
  • Expertises:
  • LED Builds
  • Equipment knowledge
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »
oh really gutted for you budd
Enjoy your stay on Ukreefs, please don't hesitate to contact the team if you have any recommendations

Offline vahegan

How to wean a regal angel
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 05:42:57 PM »
Thank you, Kev. We did grow attached to it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline wakeyblue

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 07:02:21 AM »
Sorry to hear bout the regal shame

Offline JP-79er

• Admin/Mod
    • Essex Reef Club
  • Expertises:
  • Corner tanks
  • General marine life Care