Jump to

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* UK Reef's Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Bubbagump: Hi all, just signed up today...if previous posts are anything to go by looking forward to joining the group
    November 19, 2017, 05:23:56 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: i read all the forum and topics and decidet to join you.
    April 23, 2017, 09:26:40 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: Im new in this and truing to build a reef tank
    April 23, 2017, 09:26:11 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: Hi to all
    April 23, 2017, 09:25:09 PM
  • AndrewStephens: Morning :)
    January 23, 2017, 07:03:06 AM
  • tangtastic: shuusshh :o
    December 03, 2015, 12:47:41 AM
  • compfranon: not a lot of people use this shoutbox
    October 31, 2015, 11:02:11 PM
  • mark (sid) tottle: why has it gone so quiet o this sight????????????
    September 03, 2015, 07:14:09 PM
  • tangtastic: Afternoon folks anything on the go today ?
    March 22, 2014, 12:00:29 PM
  • s23pho: jardin
    December 10, 2013, 11:29:08 PM
  • compfranon: checkout the 44 gallon thread onlyaman
    November 03, 2013, 10:20:23 PM
  • onlyaman: one
    October 31, 2013, 11:24:19 PM
  • onlyaman: has any oen put toghter the jarduino controler
    October 31, 2013, 11:23:41 PM
  • onlyaman: just wanted to say hi to all
    October 31, 2013, 11:15:34 PM
  • bigguy: Evening :)
    October 26, 2013, 09:15:06 PM
  • tangtastic: mornin
    October 15, 2013, 05:16:24 PM
  • bigguy: Greets to all :)
    October 12, 2013, 03:35:48 PM
  • compfranon: chrome worked for me
    October 08, 2013, 06:16:25 PM
  • bigguy: this is ie
    October 08, 2013, 05:18:20 PM
  • bigguy: hello
    October 08, 2013, 05:17:47 PM

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 368
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: C.irritants debate  (Read 9587 times)

Offline tangtastic

• Administrator
  • Expertises:
  • LED Builds
  • Equipment knowledge
C.irritants debate
« on: January 15, 2012, 03:24:20 PM »
After reading some of the complete dribble on threads on facebook wanted to start a c.irritants debate and the meds you have used if they have worked or not and the ones you have had best results with also the worst results

Enjoy your stay on Ukreefs, please don't hesitate to contact the team if you have any recommendations

Offline tangtastic

• Administrator
  • Expertises:
  • LED Builds
  • Equipment knowledge
Re: C.irritants debate
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 03:27:55 PM »
I used Esha Oodinex, after leaving the skimmer on by mistake on the first day i let that course run and tried it again the week after, No improvement at all to the stock, the tank was a nice green colour though.

Used hypo on 4 fish from a lads from leeds went down to 1009 after around 2 days at 1009 the fish saw a 40-50% improvement

Enjoy your stay on Ukreefs, please don't hesitate to contact the team if you have any recommendations

Offline reefermad

• Expertises:
  • Fish Care
  • Coral Care
  • Marine Aquaria in general
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 08:58:37 AM »
I swear by using UV and Ozone but if it takes hold and does not get better Hypo is what i have used with good results saving the remainder of my fish when i had the near wipeout 5 years ago. Copper is ok but not for Tangs as it affects there liver etc also it needs to be used with care and tested every day to make sure you are not overdosing the tank which is worse than having WS. The thing you have to watch out for is secondary infections caused by the parasites making puncture wounds in the fishes skin and along with poor water quality can cause this to happen. All the stuff you can buy at LFS for treating WS is a waste of time as its no good for curing WS and can make things worse. TMC had a true copper treatment but had to withdraw it as it contained non standard elements that are not allowed in this country or so i was told when i asked for some. There is a treatment that you can buy now from a company in Germany called Neosal which occording to a few who have used it say it works and can be used in a reef tank if the directions are followed. I wonder if some of our distributers will soon stock it on there shelves which would be a good move in my opinion. Eric :86:

Offline tangtastic

• Administrator
  • Expertises:
  • LED Builds
  • Equipment knowledge
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:19:34 AM »
i wonder what else it will kill as well as the parasites, the way i see it cant just target the bad micro-organisms so will kill the good as well wish in my book isnt good in a reef tank 

Offline reefermad

• Expertises:
  • Fish Care
  • Coral Care
  • Marine Aquaria in general
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 01:59:31 PM »
I think its the case of use it and see as others have used it so it cant be all bad, i am going to order a bottle when i get my Powder Blue just in case he has a spotty do. Eric :86:

Offline weegaz22

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 03:49:20 PM »
I used chloroquine phosphate medicated frozen food i made up on my reef tank after a newly purchased regal tang (within a month) started showing signs, started feeding about 2-3 days after showing signs, after about 1 week no signs of WS, continued to feed for 1 week after that, fish HAD been WS free till my dad took over my tank about 6 weeks ago which is probably about 1 year WS free, so my fish were all displaced over different tanks over the course of a week, last week the regal tang started to show signs again, now i cant say whether i had got rid of it or it was just dormant as my dad had added a firefish so not all inhabitants were the same, so gave my dad some of the old medicated food i have and it has started to disapeer once again.

Now..i realise that it may just be the fish's natural ability to fight it off and that particular stage of parasite changing and has nothing to do with the CP, but for a reef tank owner in my opinion its a handy thing to have in the freezer is some prepped food that way you can feed at the first signs and help the fish give a head start on fighting through the lifecycle of the parasite

sure the fish aren't keen on the taste but even if they grab a gulp or 2 of it its still directly getting into their system, also had some crabs and shrimp eat some with no apparent effect, so looks to be a safe-ish option, will let you know how the tang progresses over the next 2 weeks.

Offline StarfishEnterprise

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 03:28:09 PM »
You dosed CP enriched food in a reef tank?

Offline weegaz22

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 02:51:18 PM »
You dosed CP enriched food in a reef tank?

Yip, With no effects on corals/inverts

Think about the amounts were talking about, i use 2 250mg tabs to make up in 8-10 cubes of food, those cubes are quartered and fed once a day, so not a lot of medication is going directly into water in one go, have seen shrimp/crabs eat it with no effect on them either

oh yeah, update on my dads tang, no spots been seen for past 2 weeks, fish looking healthy and happy, think his last day of feeding the meds was this weekend