Jump to

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* UK Reef's Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Bubbagump: Hi all, just signed up today...if previous posts are anything to go by looking forward to joining the group
    November 19, 2017, 05:23:56 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: i read all the forum and topics and decidet to join you.
    April 23, 2017, 09:26:40 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: Im new in this and truing to build a reef tank
    April 23, 2017, 09:26:11 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: Hi to all
    April 23, 2017, 09:25:09 PM
  • AndrewStephens: Morning :)
    January 23, 2017, 07:03:06 AM
  • tangtastic: shuusshh :o
    December 03, 2015, 12:47:41 AM
  • compfranon: not a lot of people use this shoutbox
    October 31, 2015, 11:02:11 PM
  • mark (sid) tottle: why has it gone so quiet o this sight????????????
    September 03, 2015, 07:14:09 PM
  • tangtastic: Afternoon folks anything on the go today ?
    March 22, 2014, 12:00:29 PM
  • s23pho: jardin
    December 10, 2013, 11:29:08 PM
  • compfranon: checkout the 44 gallon thread onlyaman
    November 03, 2013, 10:20:23 PM
  • onlyaman: one
    October 31, 2013, 11:24:19 PM
  • onlyaman: has any oen put toghter the jarduino controler
    October 31, 2013, 11:23:41 PM
  • onlyaman: just wanted to say hi to all
    October 31, 2013, 11:15:34 PM
  • bigguy: Evening :)
    October 26, 2013, 09:15:06 PM
  • tangtastic: mornin
    October 15, 2013, 05:16:24 PM
  • bigguy: Greets to all :)
    October 12, 2013, 03:35:48 PM
  • compfranon: chrome worked for me
    October 08, 2013, 06:16:25 PM
  • bigguy: this is ie
    October 08, 2013, 05:18:20 PM
  • bigguy: hello
    October 08, 2013, 05:17:47 PM

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 116
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 44 Gallon Pentagon Corner Tank LED Hood - DIY Build + EXTRAS  (Read 755476 times)

Offline Daka

Re: 44 Gallon Pentagon Corner Tank LED Hood - DIY Build + EXTRAS
« Reply #915 on: February 21, 2013, 04:56:21 PM »
I am building my system around a good quality Computer supply. It has all need voltages (12,5,3). My LED supply is separate because I got a package deal. Just my 2 cents.........

Offline bhazard451

« Reply #916 on: February 22, 2013, 04:49:00 AM »
Jamie, you might be interested in this.

There is a new MP40/Tunze chinese knockoff that uses 24v DC (and possibly pwm). Looking at the internals, it would seem to be pretty simple to connect to the jarduino for tunze-like variable wave control... which could also be used for storm modes or synced to the led intensity. Best part is, its only ~$100 shipped.

Internals:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2264801

Pump:
https://www.fish-street.com/jebo_wp-40_13000l_wave_maker?category_id=126

Offline nitram38

44 Gallon Pentagon Corner Tank LED Hood - DIY Build + EXTRAS
« Reply #917 on: February 22, 2013, 06:41:35 AM »
Tagtastic, can't reply to your message.
Jamie set me the correct libraries for the sainsmart LCD and you have to uncomment the correct SD line. Hope that helps.

Offline opentoideas

« Reply #918 on: February 22, 2013, 07:01:58 PM »
can anyone help with likely reasons for failing arduino pins connected to the temperature sensors?

having got everything working the other day i had my temperatures drop out again and after a lot of checks  found that pin 51 was low.

best guess at the time was that perhaps the waterproof sensors were not fully watertight which shorted the pin blowing it..

moved the sensors to pin 50 and left them out of the water and have just got home to the same problem again.

i need to find the reason behind this before i loose any more pins but i an stumped and hoping for some inspiration.

i dont know if it will interfere withe the correct operation but i am going to try adding a resistor into the data pin to limit current to try and protect the next pin. hopefully as its a digital signal it should be ok but it still wont solve the real problem even if it does work.

any ideas?

Offline TheDOdblG

• Admin/Mod
    • Jarduino on Google Code
« Reply #919 on: February 22, 2013, 07:57:36 PM »
What size and how many resistors are you using?  Post a pic of how you have it hooked up.

Offline opentoideas

« Reply #920 on: February 22, 2013, 09:27:35 PM »
What size and how many resistors are you using?  Post a pic of how you have it hooked up.

single 4K7 pullup with 2 sensors.

wired in parasitic power mode.

i have added a 220R resistor in series with the data line after the pullup resistor as that should now limit the possible current drain on the pin to below max but this was not present at the time of failure.

wiring is as per your diagram but with 5v and ground of the sensors connected at the sensor and only data and ground to the arduino.

the current limiting resistor seems not to be interfering with operation so time will tell if it protects the board but i would like to try and find out what is causing the problem.

any thoughts are welcome

Offline opentoideas

« Reply #921 on: February 23, 2013, 08:28:31 AM »

as for a diagram you posted this which was correct at the time for the person who had the 2 wire parasitic only version but for the normal 3 pin version you also need to connect together pins 1 and 3 as pin 3 must be grounded which i have done.

this was my first issue as i copied this layout and the sensors were dropping out every so often.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:32:29 AM by TheDOdblG »

Offline opentoideas

« Reply #922 on: February 24, 2013, 12:04:12 AM »
well if i can track down whats wrong it may help Kevin (braecottage) as i now have the same issue with the temperatures dropping out randomly...

i notice we both have the same ready assembled waterproof sensor probes so that may be a common factor to take into account.

i may need to get some bare chips to test but here is what i have observed so far.

readings drop out at random for at least 3 seconds up to a minute.

it also randomly is 1,2 or all three that drop out

as i currently only have 2 sensors connected i assigned the same sensor address to both hood and sump (ok not a planned for occurrence in the code so i understand this may have introduced instability)

now here is where it gets wierd  - the dropouts still randomly occur however sump could drop out while hood was still showing and vice versa even though they were the same sensor

just for curiosity i assigned the same sensor to water as well so that all 3 were reading the same sensor and they still drop out randomly same as before.

now i know there must be some fault as i didnt loose 2 pins on the arduino for no reason but its an odd problem.

heat is unlikely as i only raise 4 degrees from off to full power.

wire length and number of connections is a possible issue but next to try will be one sensor directly connected to the arduino and see if that works correctly.

one other similarity between my build and Kevins is we have our drivers and arduino mounted separately to the lighting unit and a serial cable connecting them carrying the LED power and sensor connections.

i did wonder if there may be crosstalk from the PWM feeds interfering with the sensor signal but it still drops out with all lighting off although it does seem worse the higher the lighting power used.

hmm i remember reading about someone else having unexpected behavure when the arduino was powered from the same PSU as the LED's

i have changed to USB power to see if that might solve it and no dropouts in 30 minutes.  time will tell but it seems strange.

Offline braecottage

« Reply #923 on: February 24, 2013, 01:59:11 AM »
well if i can track down whats wrong it may help Kevin (braecottage) as i now have the same issue with the temperatures dropping out randomly...

I have sussed my temperature probe issue.  When all else fails - check the obvious.  I initially ran my Jarduino for a few days in "testing" before using it on the tank and my new led hood.  It worked perfectly.  When testing was finished I made up some leads using D sub connectors to connect my modular box to the hood.  That is when my problems with the temp probes started. 

I checked continuity and resistance between my proto board and my temp probes - all seemed fine with zero resistance in my new leads including the d sub connectors - I ruled them out as the problem source.

Last night I decided to run a dedicated lead soldered directly onto the probes to the proto board eliminating the d sub connectors altogether - it has worked perfectly ever since.  It seems like there must be a dirty connection in one of my d sub connectors and although the lead measures zero resistance, when power passes through it it drops out every now and again.  As the probes work on such a minute current (1-1.5mA) a bad connection must have been causing my issue resulting in the error message which in turn sounded my alarm and temporarily stopped my fans.

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions and racked their brains trying to help me out. 

Offline opentoideas

« Reply #924 on: February 24, 2013, 09:44:07 AM »

I have sussed my temperature probe issue. 

glad you got it sorted.

interesting, same problem and different solution. mine has also not dropped out overnight since i went to a different power source to the arduino.

i also had it working in testing but had my serial cables in use then but only added the fixed power when i started using it.

hope it keeps working as to run the sensors separately would be a real pain in my setup.

fingers crossed

Offline nitram38

« Reply #925 on: February 24, 2013, 01:52:17 PM »
Jamie, I had a slight issue with the heater relay getting stuck on.
Although you have an adjustable offset in the jarduino, once the temp goes to the limit of the offset, the relay is constantly switching.
Do you have any plans for a an algorithm to combat this?
In other words, heater stays on until limit reached then switches off until the lower limit is reached. Cheers martin.

Offline TheDOdblG

• Admin/Mod
« Reply #926 on: February 24, 2013, 07:09:39 PM »
@opentoideas - Thanks for pointing out the error with the "Parasite Power Mode" hookup. I updated the diagram.  Note that even without a GND on VDD, it will still work, however it's generally best to go with the manufacturer's recommendations...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 07:14:36 PM by TheDOdblG »

Offline TheDOdblG

• Admin/Mod
« Reply #927 on: February 24, 2013, 07:31:16 PM »
Jamie, I had a slight issue with the heater relay getting stuck on.
Although you have an adjustable offset in the jarduino, once the temp goes to the limit of the offset, the relay is constantly switching.
Do you have any plans for a an algorithm to combat this?
In other words, heater stays on until limit reached then switches off until the lower limit is reached. Cheers martin.

Hey Martin, hope all is well with you.  You bring up a great point.  I think it would be better if the heater/chiller, once activated, should stay on until the desired temp is reached (rather than the offset temp).  The more I think about it, the better this sounds.  Should be a fairly easy fix.  This is what you mean, right?

Offline nitram38

« Reply #928 on: February 24, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »
Yes exactly right!
It would save wear and tear on the relay contacts

Offline TheDOdblG

• Admin/Mod
« Reply #929 on: February 24, 2013, 07:55:38 PM »
Yes exactly right!
It would save wear and tear on the relay contacts