Jump to

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* UK Reef's Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Bubbagump: Hi all, just signed up today...if previous posts are anything to go by looking forward to joining the group
    November 19, 2017, 05:23:56 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: i read all the forum and topics and decidet to join you.
    April 23, 2017, 09:26:40 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: Im new in this and truing to build a reef tank
    April 23, 2017, 09:26:11 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: Hi to all
    April 23, 2017, 09:25:09 PM
  • AndrewStephens: Morning :)
    January 23, 2017, 07:03:06 AM
  • tangtastic: shuusshh :o
    December 03, 2015, 12:47:41 AM
  • compfranon: not a lot of people use this shoutbox
    October 31, 2015, 11:02:11 PM
  • mark (sid) tottle: why has it gone so quiet o this sight????????????
    September 03, 2015, 07:14:09 PM
  • tangtastic: Afternoon folks anything on the go today ?
    March 22, 2014, 12:00:29 PM
  • s23pho: jardin
    December 10, 2013, 11:29:08 PM
  • compfranon: checkout the 44 gallon thread onlyaman
    November 03, 2013, 10:20:23 PM
  • onlyaman: one
    October 31, 2013, 11:24:19 PM
  • onlyaman: has any oen put toghter the jarduino controler
    October 31, 2013, 11:23:41 PM
  • onlyaman: just wanted to say hi to all
    October 31, 2013, 11:15:34 PM
  • bigguy: Evening :)
    October 26, 2013, 09:15:06 PM
  • tangtastic: mornin
    October 15, 2013, 05:16:24 PM
  • bigguy: Greets to all :)
    October 12, 2013, 03:35:48 PM
  • compfranon: chrome worked for me
    October 08, 2013, 06:16:25 PM
  • bigguy: this is ie
    October 08, 2013, 05:18:20 PM
  • bigguy: hello
    October 08, 2013, 05:17:47 PM

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 190
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: water flow  (Read 5115 times)

Offline onlyaman

water flow
« on: November 19, 2013, 06:27:07 AM »
Hello all
 I was hoping I could get some advice. I am setting up a 400 gal reef system and need to know about water flow. Have done some reading and not sure how much water flow is needed. best I can see is about 40 times per gal. is recommended as a rule. Now is this going through sump or a combination of water moving through sump and using a close loop system. Also in planning a close loop system are there any reason I should not have outlets at bottom of tank and behind my rocks
 Thanks Tom

Offline redtop03

Re: water flow
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 07:45:14 AM »
Hello all
 I was hoping I could get some advice. I am setting up a 400 gal reef system and need to know about water flow. Have done some reading and not sure how much water flow is needed. best I can see is about 40 times per gal. is recommended as a rule. Now is this going through sump or a combination of water moving through sump and using a close loop system. Also in planning a close loop system are there any reason I should not have outlets at bottom of tank and behind my rocks
 Thanks Tom

that would be a combination of closed loop and/or powerheads and the filter system return pump inside the tank, typically you would need from 3 to 5 times the turnover rate through the sump/filter system...

the closed loop outputs can be anywhere you want them but out of sight is preferred, the important part is to have flow throughout the tank so you don't have dead spots and it be in very random patterns....

you should consider the wave making Vortech powerheads or the Jebao powerheads rather than a closed loop if you want it to be more energy efficient, to get that much flow with conventional pumps through a closed loop system is gonna use a lot more electricity, but the closed loop will look much better in that it will not be seen inside the tank if the outputs are hidden within or behind the rockwork

hope that helps you some :)
Willie McDaries

Success tastes much sweeter when we know what failure tasted like

Offline onlyaman

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 11:59:14 AM »
Thanks it did

Offline TheDOdblG

• Admin/Mod
    • Jarduino on Google Code
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 10:50:06 PM »
that would be a combination of closed loop and/or powerheads and the filter system return pump inside the tank, typically you would need from 3 to 5 times the turnover rate through the sump/filter system...

the closed loop outputs can be anywhere you want them but out of sight is preferred, the important part is to have flow throughout the tank so you don't have dead spots and it be in very random patterns....

you should consider the wave making Vortech powerheads or the Jebao powerheads rather than a closed loop if you want it to be more energy efficient, to get that much flow with conventional pumps through a closed loop system is gonna use a lot more electricity, but the closed loop will look much better in that it will not be seen inside the tank if the outputs are hidden within or behind the rockwork

Agreed.  BTW, if you go with a closed loop design (which IMO definitely looks the best given proper hiding as powerheads are simply energy hogging eye sores and the DC ones are downright ridiculously priced), you can make the closed system into a WaveMaker using the Jarduino.  What?  How do I do that you ask?  Well, while I only laid out the simple on/off relay with an AC powerhead WaveMaker design of the Jarduino, you can EASILY use the exact same design and wiring for the relays/powerheads, but instead of relays/powerheads, simply use Solenoids on some of your return pipings.  Then the Jarduino will tell the outlets with the solenoids on them to turn on and off at your pleasure, and with some fine tuning, you can produce waves if you desire, or you can get nice current changes.  Keep in mind however that solenoids do make a clicking sound when activated (when the magnet gets energized), but some are fairly quiet...

Offline redtop03

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 11:01:02 PM »

Agreed.  BTW, if you go with a closed loop design (which IMO definitely looks the best given proper hiding as powerheads are simply energy hogging eye sores and the DC ones are downright ridiculously priced), you can make the closed system into a WaveMaker using the Jarduino.  What?  How do I do that you ask?  Well, while I only laid out the simple on/off relay with an AC powerhead WaveMaker design of the Jarduino, you can EASILY use the exact same design and wiring for the relays/powerheads, but instead of relays/powerheads, simply use Solenoids on some of your return pipings.  Then the Jarduino will tell the outlets with the solenoids on them to turn on and off at your pleasure, and with some fine tuning, you can produce waves if you desire, or you can get nice current changes.  Keep in mind however that solenoids do make a clicking sound when activated (when the magnet gets energized), but some are fairly quiet...

Jamie, I agree with the DC pumps being expensive, I have a Vortech MP60.....but have you looked at the Jebao WP40 (which are Reef Angel compatible :) ) http://www.fish-street.com/jebao_wp-40_13000l_wave_maker?category_id=35 and these can be got in group buys for around $50usd each

the WP60 is wicked too

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LqJSkTM537s&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LqJSkTM537s&fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:11:55 PM by redtop03 »
Willie McDaries

Offline TheDOdblG

• Admin/Mod
    • Jarduino on Google Code
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 11:40:31 PM »
last I heard, they are no longer allowed in the US because of a lawsuit. Patent infringement or something along those lines. They do look virtually identical to another popular dc ph...

Offline redtop03

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 08:25:01 AM »
last I heard, they are no longer allowed in the US because of a lawsuit. Patent infringement or something along those lines. They do look virtually identical to another popular dc ph...

since when has a law meant anything in the US LOL

no they are coming from China still, we can still order 'em but retailers aren't allowed to sell 'em..loop hole :)
Willie McDaries

Offline onlyaman

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 09:19:15 AM »
Thanks every one. I really like the wave maker idea. Do you think 2 of the wp 60 would be all I need for my 400 gal tank??

Offline redtop03

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 10:59:09 PM »
Thanks every one. I really like the wave maker idea. Do you think 2 of the wp 60 would be all I need for my 400 gal tank??

it would definitely be a good start if not enough...I have a Vortech MP60 in my 360 gallon with a ReeFlo Hammerhead pump on my closed loop and it was plenty of flow, I actually kept the MP60 turned down to about 50%
Willie McDaries