New Members Forums > New Member Questions

water flow

(1/2) > >>

onlyaman:
Hello all
 I was hoping I could get some advice. I am setting up a 400 gal reef system and need to know about water flow. Have done some reading and not sure how much water flow is needed. best I can see is about 40 times per gal. is recommended as a rule. Now is this going through sump or a combination of water moving through sump and using a close loop system. Also in planning a close loop system are there any reason I should not have outlets at bottom of tank and behind my rocks
 Thanks Tom

redtop03:

--- Quote from: onlyaman on November 19, 2013, 06:27:07 AM ---Hello all
 I was hoping I could get some advice. I am setting up a 400 gal reef system and need to know about water flow. Have done some reading and not sure how much water flow is needed. best I can see is about 40 times per gal. is recommended as a rule. Now is this going through sump or a combination of water moving through sump and using a close loop system. Also in planning a close loop system are there any reason I should not have outlets at bottom of tank and behind my rocks
 Thanks Tom

--- End quote ---

that would be a combination of closed loop and/or powerheads and the filter system return pump inside the tank, typically you would need from 3 to 5 times the turnover rate through the sump/filter system...

the closed loop outputs can be anywhere you want them but out of sight is preferred, the important part is to have flow throughout the tank so you don't have dead spots and it be in very random patterns....

you should consider the wave making Vortech powerheads or the Jebao powerheads rather than a closed loop if you want it to be more energy efficient, to get that much flow with conventional pumps through a closed loop system is gonna use a lot more electricity, but the closed loop will look much better in that it will not be seen inside the tank if the outputs are hidden within or behind the rockwork

hope that helps you some :)

onlyaman:
Thanks it did

TheDOdblG:

--- Quote from: redtop03 on November 19, 2013, 07:45:14 AM ---that would be a combination of closed loop and/or powerheads and the filter system return pump inside the tank, typically you would need from 3 to 5 times the turnover rate through the sump/filter system...

the closed loop outputs can be anywhere you want them but out of sight is preferred, the important part is to have flow throughout the tank so you don't have dead spots and it be in very random patterns....

you should consider the wave making Vortech powerheads or the Jebao powerheads rather than a closed loop if you want it to be more energy efficient, to get that much flow with conventional pumps through a closed loop system is gonna use a lot more electricity, but the closed loop will look much better in that it will not be seen inside the tank if the outputs are hidden within or behind the rockwork

--- End quote ---

Agreed.  BTW, if you go with a closed loop design (which IMO definitely looks the best given proper hiding as powerheads are simply energy hogging eye sores and the DC ones are downright ridiculously priced), you can make the closed system into a WaveMaker using the Jarduino.  What?  How do I do that you ask?  Well, while I only laid out the simple on/off relay with an AC powerhead WaveMaker design of the Jarduino, you can EASILY use the exact same design and wiring for the relays/powerheads, but instead of relays/powerheads, simply use Solenoids on some of your return pipings.  Then the Jarduino will tell the outlets with the solenoids on them to turn on and off at your pleasure, and with some fine tuning, you can produce waves if you desire, or you can get nice current changes.  Keep in mind however that solenoids do make a clicking sound when activated (when the magnet gets energized), but some are fairly quiet...

redtop03:

--- Quote from: TheDOdblG on November 19, 2013, 10:50:06 PM ---
--- Quote from: redtop03 on November 19, 2013, 07:45:14 AM ---that would be a combination of closed loop and/or powerheads and the filter system return pump inside the tank, typically you would need from 3 to 5 times the turnover rate through the sump/filter system...

--- End quote ---

Agreed.  BTW, if you go with a closed loop design (which IMO definitely looks the best given proper hiding as powerheads are simply energy hogging eye sores and the DC ones are downright ridiculously priced), you can make the closed system into a WaveMaker using the Jarduino.  What?  How do I do that you ask?  Well, while I only laid out the simple on/off relay with an AC powerhead WaveMaker design of the Jarduino, you can EASILY use the exact same design and wiring for the relays/powerheads, but instead of relays/powerheads, simply use Solenoids on some of your return pipings.  Then the Jarduino will tell the outlets with the solenoids on them to turn on and off at your pleasure, and with some fine tuning, you can produce waves if you desire, or you can get nice current changes.  Keep in mind however that solenoids do make a clicking sound when activated (when the magnet gets energized), but some are fairly quiet...

--- End quote ---

Jamie, I agree with the DC pumps being expensive, I have a Vortech MP60.....but have you looked at the Jebao WP40 (which are Reef Angel compatible :) ) http://www.fish-street.com/jebao_wp-40_13000l_wave_maker?category_id=35 and these can be got in group buys for around $50usd each

the WP60 is wicked too

http://www.youtube.com/v/LqJSkTM537s&fs=1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version