Jump to

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* UK Reef's Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Bubbagump: Hi all, just signed up today...if previous posts are anything to go by looking forward to joining the group
    November 19, 2017, 05:23:56 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: i read all the forum and topics and decidet to join you.
    April 23, 2017, 09:26:40 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: Im new in this and truing to build a reef tank
    April 23, 2017, 09:26:11 PM
  • IgorEvtimov: Hi to all
    April 23, 2017, 09:25:09 PM
  • AndrewStephens: Morning :)
    January 23, 2017, 07:03:06 AM
  • tangtastic: shuusshh :o
    December 03, 2015, 12:47:41 AM
  • compfranon: not a lot of people use this shoutbox
    October 31, 2015, 11:02:11 PM
  • mark (sid) tottle: why has it gone so quiet o this sight????????????
    September 03, 2015, 07:14:09 PM
  • tangtastic: Afternoon folks anything on the go today ?
    March 22, 2014, 12:00:29 PM
  • s23pho: jardin
    December 10, 2013, 11:29:08 PM
  • compfranon: checkout the 44 gallon thread onlyaman
    November 03, 2013, 10:20:23 PM
  • onlyaman: one
    October 31, 2013, 11:24:19 PM
  • onlyaman: has any oen put toghter the jarduino controler
    October 31, 2013, 11:23:41 PM
  • onlyaman: just wanted to say hi to all
    October 31, 2013, 11:15:34 PM
  • bigguy: Evening :)
    October 26, 2013, 09:15:06 PM
  • tangtastic: mornin
    October 15, 2013, 05:16:24 PM
  • bigguy: Greets to all :)
    October 12, 2013, 03:35:48 PM
  • compfranon: chrome worked for me
    October 08, 2013, 06:16:25 PM
  • bigguy: this is ie
    October 08, 2013, 05:18:20 PM
  • bigguy: hello
    October 08, 2013, 05:17:47 PM

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 120
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

Theme Selection

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Kevin's Jarduino Build  (Read 21989 times)

Offline TheDOdblG

• Admin/Mod
    • Jarduino on Google Code
Re: Kevin's Jarduino Build
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2013, 05:48:55 PM »
Your work is simply top notch Kev!  Don't you just love it when things fit perfectly without much planning?  Anyway, as I'm sure you're aware, it's common to have an algae bloom after upgrading to LEDs, as they put out a lot more light.  I hope your Chaeto does the trick in getting rid of it.  In addition to outcompeting for nutrients that algae live on, they provide excellent breeding grounds for a bunch of different micro-fauna (ie copepods, amphipods, etc.) which in turn serve as a mini cleanup crew, getting into spots crabs, snails, etc. simply can't (and therefore further reducing nitrates), plus a lot of fish/corals/anemones love to eat them. Also, as you mentioned, chaeto helps to stabilize pH when run in opposite lighting cycles, so IMO adding chaeto is always a good move.  If you haven't done so already, manually remove the nuisance algae and do a water change.  This will help you gain the initial upper hand in your fight...

Not to belabor the benefits of adding chaeto, but one last thing worth mentioning, assuming your chaeto grows well, when you do your pruning don't just toss it in the trash.  Instead, unload it on eBay.   My extra chaeto is now paying for ALL of the fish food, and every now and again some extra livestock.

Offline braecottage

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 09:55:32 PM »
Thanks Jamie - reassuring advice. 

I thought the Chaeto was worth a go.  So far so good the algae seems to have taken a hit.  Hopefully after a couple of weeks settling in I'll know if it's working, and hopefully I'll need to trim the Cheato!

Offline bigguy

• ukreefs
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 03:10:33 PM »
any updates Kev :)
Cube LED Build The Journey :)
http://ukreefs.com/index.php?topic=975.msg8156#msg8156
Large Fat And Dam ugly But Happy to Try and help if i Can :)
Enjoy Your Stay Here.

50cm Cube Tank Thread
http://ukreefs.com/index.php?topic=1005.0

Offline braecottage

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »
Another quick update:

Everything seems to be going well and I'm just enjoying my reef.  There is always the temptation to want something different (bigger!?) but I'm happy with what I've got just now and my 90 litre nano is coming along great.  My Zoas are growing and new heads keep appearing and it also looks like one of my Candy Canes are ready to split.

Algae is under control, I've put the fuge light on to 24hrs and it doesn't seem to have had any ill effects; Chaeto and algae are growing in the back chamber of the tank and not the front now. 

I've also increased the UV up to about 80% in the morning and late at night.  This gives the Zoas and Candy Canes a nice colour "pop" when used with the royal blues.

Any newbies - don't get too hung up on led makes, going for max current or for too many leds- pay more attention to the colours you're using.  The leds are really bright and even with my royal blues and whites both at 50-60% at midday is probably more than enough without encouraging algae or bleaching.

I'm doing 15% water changes once a week and running carbon and rowaphos in filter socks in the rear chamber along with the Chaeto.  Still no skimmer as I don't have room for one.  Haven't tested the water for about a month, but last time I did everything was well within (my) parameters.  I'll maybe test later and post the results.

I've attached a couple of photos, I'm off to my LFS for lunch, they've got a great cafe......  If there is a frogspawn or hammerhead in stock I may just be tempted too!

Kev

Offline bigguy

• ukreefs
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2013, 01:50:49 PM »
NIce One dude
Cube LED Build The Journey :)
http://ukreefs.com/index.php?topic=975.msg8156#msg8156
Large Fat And Dam ugly But Happy to Try and help if i Can :)
Enjoy Your Stay Here.

50cm Cube Tank Thread
http://ukreefs.com/index.php?topic=1005.0

Offline TheDOdblG

• Admin/Mod
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2013, 09:34:04 PM »
Very nice Kev.  And good advice on the LEDs.  I know the temptation is to get the latest, but the newer higher current models seem to me to only cost a lot more and not perform all that much better.  And as far as the number go, I'm fairly sure I could have done with quite a few less myself, but at the same time, since I have more than I need, I can run them at lower power and therefore extend their useful lives...

Offline tangtastic

• Administrator
  • Expertises:
  • LED Builds
  • Equipment knowledge
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2013, 08:20:11 AM »
Spot on kev nice one fella
 :)
Enjoy your stay on Ukreefs, please don't hesitate to contact the team if you have any recommendations

Offline braecottage

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »
Slightly off topic but I thought I'd show off the frag rack I made this morning.  Been experimenting with some acrylic lately.  Bought some small sheets and adhesive to play with.

Offline braecottage

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2013, 02:27:02 PM »
I know it has to go inside the tank for the corals to grow!!!

8-)

Offline TheDOdblG

• Admin/Mod
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »
Nice Kev.  I think frag racks go for around $20 USD or so.  Hopefully you came in well under that price.  I've seen some that use magnets instead of suction cups.  If the magnets are strong (get the kind that won't rust), you don't have to worry about your rack falling down as much as you would with suction cups.  Plus, makes it much easier to move around, etc.  Just a suggestion for Kev's Frag Rack, v2.  And yes, corals do tend to grow much better in the water lol!

Offline compfranon

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2013, 10:14:35 PM »
Nice Rack  ::) loved the "inside tank" comment

I used good strong magnets for mine, but sandwiched them between a couple of pieces of acrylic to protect them. As Jamie says, you can move the rack without getting your hands wet.

Offline braecottage

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 11:40:36 AM »
I used good strong magnets for mine, but sandwiched them between a couple of pieces of acrylic to protect them. As Jamie says, you can move the rack without getting your hands wet.
Think I'll get some rare earth magnets and sandwich them for the mark 2.  The suckers are still holding but I don't have too much faith.  I looked everywhere for coated magnets before I tried the MK1 but to no avail.  The sandwich is a good idea - I used rare earth magnets on a cadence sensor on my racing bike and it wasn't long before the road salt attacked them and they started to corrode.

Kev.

Offline compfranon

• Site Supporter
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2013, 12:30:02 PM »
I machined both pieces of the acrylic, on the tank wall side I left a 1-2mm thick web to improve the magnetic joint.

Then I secured the two pieces together with solvent weld, making sure there was good coverage to ensure no route for water to seep in. Clamp the joint and let it set.

When I take it out from the water to give it a clean I check the magnets for any sign of corrosion.

Offline caddie

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2013, 03:19:34 PM »
Quality build!!! really like it.

What drivers are you using.  Im struggling with decising what I need.  I think i need the same lighting as you, so if you could do a parts list that would be great.  Mainly from the connection to the arduino onwards..... sorry

Offline braecottage

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2014, 09:23:50 PM »
A quick update.  Tank running well and seems settled.  Jarduino been running without a hitch for over a year.  Added some Purigen and it really does make the water crystal clear.  I also gave in and bought a second hand Vortech MP10.  Works brilliantly with a Jarduino controlled pulsing powerhead at the back of the tank.  For anyone considering splashing out I would say don't hesitate - I hummed and hawed for ages but have never regretted it.

My tank is ready for some more corals.  Check out my new quarantine tank post coming soon.  With my main tank being so settled I'm not prepared to put anything new into it without 5 or 6 weeks in quarantine first!